Saturday, April 29, 2006
Cello Camp thoughts



The Toronto Music Garden



There are lots of music camps available to kids and a smaller number for adults. I have taught at, been the director of and/or attended so many in my life that I have entirely lost count. In my old city, for some years now, I have been running an in-house "Cello Camp" for my (kid) students only, and some years for their siblings, as well, at the farmhouse, in a semi rural setting, of one long time student family.
I don't really miss it now that I have moved. The last few years were quite chaotic, mostly due to the extremely unstructured nature of the family hosting the camp. The kids had a GREAT time, but it was really getting to be way too much for me physically and emotionally as well, oddly. For some years it was a real ...high...almost for me. But it gradually became less so. Beware going into therapy on a long term basis- it really does change your life: what once seemed fun, a sort of manic high in fact, meaning the unstructured, boundary-less-ness of it all, in the end killed my enjoyment of it. And, I never made any money doing it- the numbers were too small and since I never cut corners with the quality of the music part of the program, it was very very expensive to mount. All in all I was glad when I knew it was my last year.
Now, in the new city, for some mysterious demographic reason, I am teaching quite a few adult students (as well as kids) and quite liking it. So, I decided to have a camp for them! The overhead costs will be almost nil - no craft supplies to buy or lifeguards to hire and there should be no discipline issues, either! Or over-involved parents! And I don't need to hire a second teacher!
So! We will have private lessons, plus a two hour group class each day and COOL extra curricular activities: The Toronto Music Garden as a field trip-- designed by Yo Yo Ma (have a look at http://www.harbourfrontcentre.com/noflash/visarts/musicgarden.php ; sailing on Lake Ontario- one student has a 30 something foot sailboat; busking cello fiddle tunes on the town pier; and a closing BBQ and swim at another student's place. Planning will be minimal and I will actually make some money. AND have some adult-ey fun-not that I don't adore "my kids" as in students, but this is a change. The adults are so appreciative and work so hard.
I will still be teaching a week at the local large music camp, too, just in case life gets too easy. But I don't have to plan or run that one: just turn up and teach. All in all, it looks like a nice July, since I have the other two weeks off.
So tonight I spent about eight hours designing a brochure, which is totally superfluous as seven people are already signed up. But it is fun to play on the computer like that, This is the only way I can learn anything on the computer: by trial and error and trying this and that. And the brochure looks pretty good. I wish I had a colour photocopier..........NO NO stop her.......
It was a fun, absorbing evening's activity. The only trouble is, it is, erm, 5:08 AM and I am still wide awake. Luckily tomorrow is Saturday. I see naps in my immediate future..........Now I am thinking about a camp t- shirt..........LOL
TIME FOR BED!


1 Comments:

Blogger Ellen Landrum said...

can i come to camp? you rock! i so fondly remember those summer adventures when i was a kid playing the violin. have fun! post some pics, too~

Post a Comment

<< Home

footer2.JPG