Saturday, March 18, 2006
WE SOLD THE HOUSE!!
that we moved out of (and into this one) a FULL YEAR AGO.
Today the deal closed and it is all over!
Talk about being house poor- what a relief!
But, this is more about the weird way it feels to have left the house that we lived in for over 16 years really and truly behind, as in, I will never set foot in it again.
All year, while it has been on the market, sitting empty, John has gone in several days a week on his way home from work to vacuum it or mow the lawn or bring another load of random, left-behind, stuff down here, but it has been several months since I have even been in our former city, never mind the house.
I never really bonded to that house the way I did to the Louisa Street house, that I spent 10 years in, more than 6 of these as a single parent. Already I feel at home more here, in our cozy "new" house after one year than I think I ever did there. Or maybe the word might be "safer"...
An awful lot happened there.....a lot of it not so great. Also, it became a very middle-aged house with middle-aged-house problems, on a MUCH busier street, as the city grew, during that time. And it grew too big for us, with all the kids gone now.
I see myself over the last 20 years as I drive those streets and some of it is painful and I am glad to come home to my "new" life, where some significant thing didn't happen nearly everywhere I look.....this is overstated, but it seemed that way today.
Life keeps flowing along like a river, and we are just swept along and then, later, on this particular day, I open the big city paper and there-in the Lives Lived column- is the dear sweet face of a friend-a 44 year old mom of a student of mine who died so tragically of cancer, leaving her two little kids behind, last September.
I used to drive by the Louisa Street house years after we moved to the G Street one, I think because my children were little there- grew up in that house- and I would wish with everything in me that it would be say, 10 years ago and I would go inside and my son would be there, in the kitchen, alive.
Everything seems to sad to bear sometimes.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

footer2.JPG